Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Chicken Stock and Soup

Growing up chicken soup was always an essential recipe to make when anyone was sick or when we needed that "comfort" food. My mom was always involved with the hospitality team at church delivering food to other families who were in need, and starting at a very young age I always went with her to deliver the food. Unfortunately, the majority of the families we delivered food to were elderly and my mom would let me know at a later time that so and so had gone to be with Jesus. Well, one day I was not feeling well myself so my mom told me she was going to make me some of her chicken soup to help me feel better. Without skipping a beat I responded please not the soup that kills people! In my young innocent mind I thought the yummy soup my mom was delivering to people was killing them lol! Anyways, that cute story from my childhood goes to show how much my family loved making this delicious soup and I promise that it won't kill you ;) It can be very time consuming, but worth ever minute! You can also use this recipe to make chicken stock and then just not proceed onto the actual chicken soup steps.

Chicken Stock and Soup
Best ever!

1 3 pound whole chicken
5 packets Goya Chicken Bouillon (this is what I had on hand. You can also use cubes, boxed or canned chicken broth)
10 carrots
6 celery stalks plus some leaves
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
3 potatoes
salt to taste
pepper to taste
parsley
garlic powder
Complete Seasoning (not required; found in the ethnic isle)
If desired box of small noodled pasta or biscuits for chicken and biscuits

To make the chicken stock:
  1. Place the chicken, 3 carrots, 3 celery stalks with some leaves, 1/2 onion, and 1 clove of minced garlic. Don't worry about being precise on cutting the vegetables when making the stock because you will strain them out before proceeding on to the soup.
  2. Add enough water to just cover the chicken and vegetables. I used 14 cups of water.
  3. Add approximately 4 packets of chicken bouillon, light salt, pepper, parsley, and Complete seasoning.
  4. Cook on high heat until boiling and then lower the heat and cook for approximately 3 hours. I checked the internal temperature of the chicken (at least 165 degrees) to ensure it was cooked through. Remove any fat that may come to the surface while cooking.
  5. Once cooked remove chicken and place in a separate bowl 
  6. Strain the stock and discard the vegetables
  7. Refrigerate or freeze stock or proceed onto soup recipe 
  8. If not making a soup refrigerate chicken until ready to use if desired. If making into a soup proceed onto the next steps.
To make the chicken soup:
  1. In a pot bring the stock you made to a low simmer
  2. Chop 7 carrots, 3 celery, and 1/2 onion into bite size pieces and 3 potatoes quartered. Add to stock.
  3. Add 1 clove minced garlic
  4. Shred the whole chicken into bite size pieces and add to stock. If you feel the entire chicken is too much to add to the stock then refrigerate leftovers for future use which is perfect for chicken salad
  5. Add 1 packet of chicken bouillon
  6. Season with light salt, pepper, parsley, garlic powder and Complete seasoning if desired
  7. Simmer covered for 1-2 hours or until the vegetables are tender. While simmering if you feel it needs more liquid you can add more water but make sure to also add more chicken bouillon and seasonings
  8. If desired add a small amount of noodles or biscuits right before serving but be careful not to add too much of either because they will thicken the soup and absorb some of the broth. You can also make the noodles and biscuits separately and add to individual bowls.
  9. Serve hot
  10. Refrigerate or freeze cooled leftovers
Recipe from my Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment