Friday, March 11, 2011

Crab Cakes

For my Aunt's birthday this year with the help of my dad we decided to do an all seafood menu. For the appetizer's I made shrimp dip (see previous post) and crab cakes. As usual I am always very nervous to try new recipes with a crowd of people. In the end boy am I so glad that I tried this recipe. These crab cakes were so yummy! They were moist on the inside and crispy on the outside. The sauce complimented them wonderfully and were a nice change to the traditional sauce served with crab cake's. I tweaked this recipe and am so happy with the turn out. Also, this recipe doubled perfectly for me. My husband says that he is looking very forward to me making this recipe again. Enjoy this special delicacy :)

Crab Cakes
Moist on the inside and crispy on the outside

Crab Cakes:
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 green onions, chopped
3/8 cup olive oil (I used only what I thought necessary)
1 (16 ounce) can canned crab meat, drained
1 egg
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 teaspoon dry mustard (I used 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard)
8 ounces buttery round crackers, crushed
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (I used 1/2 teaspoon paprika plus some)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning TM
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs) or regular dry bread crumbs
  1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over high heat. Saute green onions briefly until tender; cool slightly.
  2. Combine crab meat, sauteed green onions, egg, mayonnaise, dry mustard (or Dijon), crushed crackers, cayenne pepper (or paprika), garlic powder, Old Bay seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
  3. Form into 1/2 inch thick patties. I was able to get about 20 crab cakes from doubling the recipe.
  4. Coat the patties with panko or bread crumbs.
  5. Heat 1/2 cup oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Cook cakes until golden brown on each side.
  6. Drain briefly on paper towels and serve hot. If desired serve with following sauce.
Sauce:
2/3 c fat free chicken broth
3 tbs chopped shallots
2 tbs white whine vinegar
2 1/2 tbs butter

  1. Combine broth, chopped shallots, and vinegar in a small sauce pan; bring to boil.
  2. Cook until reduced to a 1/2 cup (about 4 minutes); remove from heat, stir in butter.
  3. Serve with crab cakes.
Crab cake recipe inspired from Allrecipes
Sauce recipe from my cousin Alison's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment