Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Comfort Food

My mom's chili is one of those foods that brings comfort to me. This recipe is always such a wonderful added touch to a cold night in the fall or winter. Chili also freezes perfectly for a quick delicious meal at a later time. My mom taught me to cook by estimation or "eye balling" it. This is one of those recipes that I cannot give exact measurements because I myself don't even know the exact measurements. Depending on the size of your pot will depend on the amount of ingredients you add. The next time I make this recipe I will try to jot down more exact measurements. For now, here is a list of the ingredients, approx. measurements, and steps on how to prepare it. Also, I taste the chili as it is cooking to see if I feel it is in need of added ingredients.

Crock Pot Chili*
Delicious comfort food


1 lb ground beef (or if you prefer turkey or chicken)
Beef cubes for stew
onion (approx. 1/2-1 whole onion)
minced garlic (approx. 2-4 cloves)
green pepper (approx. 1/2-1 whole green pepper)
chili beans (approx. 2-4 15 ounce cans)
flavored diced tomatoes (approx. 2-4 14.5 ounce cans)
chili powder** (approx. 1-3 tablespoon or more)
cumin** (approx. 1/2-1 1/2 tablespoon or less)
salt
pepper
water (approx. 1/2 cup or more or less depending on desired consistency)

Garnish:
Shredded cheese
Sour Cream
Chopped scallions
Tortilla chips
  1. Brown ground beef (or desired meat), beef cubes, onion, minced garlic, and green pepper in oil or water
  2. Once brown, drain (if used oil to cut back on fat) and add to crock pot
  3. Add to the meat in the crock pot chili beans and flavored diced tomatoes
  4. Season with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper
  5. Add water to reach desired consistency (approx. 1/2 cup)
  6. Cook on low for approx. 8 hours or on high for approx. 4 hours  
  7. Garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped scallions, tortilla chips or any other desired topping
* Chili can also be made on the stove top in a large pot over low heat for several hours. Keep in mind the longer you allow it to cook on low the more flavor it will have.
**Cumin is another one of those ingredients that is very strong and flavorful. I prefer to double the chili powder and 1/2 the cumin.

Recipe from my Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment