Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Cucumber Sandwiches

This past week I had the pleasure to attend a Valentine's Day tea party with approx. 50-100 other ladies! The hostess asked if everyone could please bring their favorite appetizer. I was attending the tea with my Aunt and Grandmother and since I currently have a lot of time on my hands I offered to make an appetizer for each one of them as well. This post is going to be 1 of 3 (Cucumber Sandwiches, Fresh Mexican Bean Salad, and Layered Greek Dip)*. So, onto my first recipe: Cucumber Sandwiches. I am so happy how this recipe turned out. I am always nervous to try a new recipe to bring to a party, but I am so glad that I stepped out of my comfort zone on this one. I made approx. 50 sandwiches and there were only 4 leftover as well as many women raved on how delicious these sandwiches were. I did vary the recipe slightly and am thrilled with the results. Enjoy :) 

Open-Faced Cucumber Sandwiches
These were very easy, delicious, light and fresh


2-3 large cucumbers cleaned but not peeled
8 ounce cream cheese, softened
3 green onions, chopped
Mayonnaise as needed
Celery salt to taste
Garlic Powder to taste
Dill weed to taste
Sandwich bread (I used rye cocktail sandwich bread found in the deli)

  1. Mix the cream cheese and mayonnaise in a bowl until smooth and spreadable
  2. Add onions, celery salt, garlic powder, dill weed and mix
  3. This step is not necessary but I refrigerated the cream cheese mixture overnight to absorb all the flavors
  4. Wash cucumbers
  5. With the 1st cucumber cut in half lengthwise and with a spoon remove seeds
  6. Dice cucumber
  7. With the second cucumber slice thinly (1 for each sandwich)
  8. Drain both cucumbers over a paper towel till most of the liquid is gone
  9. Add drained diced cucumbers to cream cheese mixture and stir
  10. Spread each slice of bread with equal amounts of the cucumber cream cheese mixture
  11. Top each sandwich with 1 slice of cucumber
  12. Garnish with dill weed
*Here was the table at the tea with my 3 appetizers:


Recipe modified from Cooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment