Saturday, February 19, 2011

Dirt Cake- Best Ever!

This recipe is by far one of my and my husband's favorite dessert's (after my mom's homemade from scratch pies of course)! Growing up through the years for my birthday or any other special occasion I always asked my mom to make this dessert for me. This is so delicious and there has never been one person who has tried this dessert and has not liked it. This dessert can also be fun because you can layer it in a decorative flower pot and place gummy worms throughout the dessert as well as fake silk flowers; hence the reason we call it Dirt Cake! I promise you that you will not be disappointed with this dessert and that it is easy to make.

Dirt Cake
This dessert is on my family's favorite dessert list hands down!


1 package oreos
1 8-ounce cream cheese
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
2 packages (3.4 ounce each) instant vanilla pudding*
3 1/2 cups cold milk
1 13-ounce cool whip
1 decorative flower pot or trifle bowl
Silk flowers (if desired)
Gummy worms (if desired)
  1. In a food processor crush entire package of oreos until fine and then set aside
  2. In mixing bowl beat cream cheese, butter and sugar until smooth
  3. In another mixing bowl combine and mix both packages of instant vanilla pudding and cold milk until smooth and thickened
  4. Fold pudding mixture into cream cheese mixture
  5. Fold in cool whip
  6. If using a flower pot line with foil and then begin alternating oreo and pudding mixture. Make sure you start and end with oreos.
  7. Chill several hours before serving
  8. Place gummy worms (if using) and silk flowers (if using) in flower pot right before serving
*I have heard of people substituting the instant vanilla pudding with instant chocolate pudding. I personally would not change one thing about this dessert, but for all you chocolate lover's out there you may want to try the substitution.

Recipe from my Mom

1 comment:

  1. I was always so excited when someone brought this dessert in as their birthday treat for school. Of course, back then I liked it with the worms. Now I much prefer it plain, or with some flower pens. ;)

    ReplyDelete