Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Texas Sheet Cake

About a year ago my mom gave me a recipe for a texas sheet cake. I finally now just made the recipe! I am not a big chocolate fan but my husband is a die hard chocolate fan so my mom really gave me this recipe with my husband in mind. I finally decided to make this cake when my husband and I went over to my good friend and her husband's house for the Superbowl. This couple, like my husband, are big chocolate fans so I thought what better way then to share a yummy chocolate dessert with all of them.

Texas Sheet Cake
This cake is super moist! It melts in your mouth!

Cake:
1 cup butter
1 cup water
3 tablespoons cocoa
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract*

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract*
6 tablespoons buttermilk
4 cups powdered sugar**
dash of salt
3 tablespoons cocoa

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees 
  2. For the cake mix butter, water and cocoa in a saucepan over medium heat until melted and then remove from burner
  3. In a mixing bowl combine sugar and flour
  4. Pour hot cocoa mix slowly into flour and sugar
  5. Add eggs and salt and mix until well blended
  6. Combine buttermilk and baking soda together in a measuring cup and mix until well blended
  7. Add buttermilk and baking soda mixture to batter
  8. Add vanilla extract and almond extract (if desired*)
  9. Bake in greased cookie sheet (I used a 10x15) for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes clean
  10. While the cake is baking make the frosting by combining all of the ingredients and mix well
  11. Pour frosting over hot cake right out of the oven
*Almond extract is one of those ingredients that has a very strong flavor. The next time I make this cake I think I will either decrease the measurement or substitute and double the vanilla extract. Many people enjoy the strong flavor of almond extract but I am particularly not one of them.
**I actually only had 3 cups of powdered sugar on hand and it still turned out delicious. Also, I did not sift the powdered sugar and it came out lump free, but if you want to be sure your frosting is lump free sift before mixing. 

Recipe from my Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment